Swedish for International Students
At the Department of Swedish Language and Multilingualism at Stockholm University we offer a range of courses and programmes especially for international students. Proficiency requirements vary.
These courses are only eligible for international students admitted to a course, through an exchange program, bachelor/master or an equivalent agreement, containing at least 15 ECTS at Stockholm University.
A placement test is arranged for students with some knowledge of Swedish.
Find your course
For the courses 1–6, please see our courses and programmes, further down on this page (Swedish Language Courses).
- Spring semesters: Opens on 1 January.
- Autumn semesters: Opens on 1 August.
Please see headers below for more details.
Registration for true beginners (Course 1)
Registration period 1
- Registration for course 1 in period 1 is now closed. Late applicants are referred to the course that starts in period 2 (see next header).
Registration period 1 (link opens on 1 August)
Registration period 2
- If you did not have the opportunity to sign up during the first registration period, you can register for course 1 in period 2 between 15 September and 5 October.
- Course 1 in period 2 starts on 10 October (week 41).
- If you already signed up for course 1 in period 2 during the first registration period, you don't have to sign up again.
- When you submit your application you will not receive a confirmation e-mail directly.
- The confirmation e-mail with information about the start date, how to select group and links to the schedules will be sent a few days before the course starts.
- Registrations are made continously throughout the registration period, so it may take a few days before you see the course in Ladok after submitting the application.
Continue on Course 2 during the same semester
- If you started course 1 in period 1, you will also be able to take course 2 during the same semester.
- Registration for course 2 in period 2 will open after the results on course 1 have been published in Ladok.
Course 1 consists of a limited number of lectures in study groups of around 200 to 300 students.
- Regular homework, assignments and self study is compulsory.
- Classes are scheduled two afternoons or evenings a week.
- Active participation and a passing grade on the final examination is necessary for receiving credit points, as well as for admission to a higher level.
Placement test – for students with previous knowledge of Swedish (Course 2–6)
Registration for course 2-6
- If you have previous knowledge of Swedish you need to take a digital placement test. The link below will take you directly to the test which also works as your application.
- The placement test for the autumn semester is now closed. Late applicants are referred to the courses given in the spring semester 2023.
- Course 3–6 only start in period 1 each semester.
Placement test (link opens on 1 August)
- When you submit your application and placement test you will not receive a confirmation e-mail directly.
- The confirmation e-mail with information about your course level, how to select group and links to the schedules will be sent a few days before the courses start.
- Registrations are made continously throughout the registration period, so it may take a few days before you see the course in Ladok after submitting the placement test.
Course 2–6 consist of a limited number of seminars in study groups of approxiamtely 20 to 30 students.
Last updated: August 31, 2022
Source: Department of Swedish Language and Multilingualism