What courses are approved?

Learning agreement

Credit transfer


What courses are approved?

When choosing courses from the host university's course offerings, consider the following:

  •     they should be at the appropriate academic level, depending on where you are in your studies.
  •     they should not overlap with courses you previously read or will read in your program at SU.
  •     they should have academic content. We do not grant credit transfers for courses of personality- or career development character (for example windsurfing or CV writing).
  •     We do not grant credit transfers for English language courses for non-native speakers since the courses are generally too basic. Swedish students tend to have a high level of English. Language courses in other languages are generally accepted.

The semester abroad is an opportunity for you to broaden your skills and learn things that are not part of your education at SU. We recommend you choose courses in subjects other than your chosen discipline at SU. This minimizes the risk of overlapping. A student in the MBA program with funding focus should therefore select courses in subjects other than finance.

These are prerequisites for the courses to be included in your Swedish degree.

Learning Agreement 

The Learning Agreement form will be available in Fastreg once you have been registered for the study abroad period. If you are not sure which courses you can take, please contact the study counsellor for your study programme. You should then add the courses you would like to take during your study abroad period to the Learning Agreement.

When you have added your courses, submit your Learning Agreement through Fastreg. Please follow the instructions in Fastreg and read through our Learning Agreement Guide.

When selecting classes, please include the following information:
a) Course description and reading list
b) Number of credits/units per course/module
c) The ECTS equivalent of each credit/unit (if available)

The model for credit conversion used at Stockholm Business School is based on a degree perspective: the total number of credits/units required for a degree at the host university is divided by the number of years of study required to complete the degree. That gives us an average credit requirement/year, which is to be compared with the standard credit requirement of the Swedish academic year. In some cases, you will receive different information on the credit requirements from your host university. It is however important to note that the ultimate decision of credit conversion lies with the home university.

Once abroad you may want or need to change your courses. You will find a form entitled “Changes to Learning Agreement” in Fastreg. Please complete it and contact your study counsellor for further discussion.

Learning agreement manual (3288 Kb)  

Learning agreement -lathund (3273 Kb)

Credit transfer

Credit Transfer Form (567 Kb)

If you have been abroad via our exchange program:

1) upon your return you will get an e-mail from the International Office with instructions and the credit transfer application form. The application form can also be downloaded directly Credit transfer form (567 Kb) . 

Application form in Swedish ( Blanketten ansökan om tillgodoräknande (298 Kb) ).

2) When applying for credit transfer you include a copy of your signed Learning Agreement. The learning agreement has to be signed by SBS, the host university and you.

3) If you have been abroad via our exchange program a transcript of records from the host university is sent to the International Office after completion of the semester abroad. Upon receipt of these, the credit transfer will be in progress (subject to the condition that you have applied for it). Once the credit transfer is complete, you will receive your original transcript of records from the host university. 

If you have been studying abroad as a Free Mover, you should enclose course descriptions, syllabi and literature information along with your application for credit transfer. We also have to see your original transcript in order to complete the credit transfer. Information about the academic calendar and credit system should also be included.

4) All documents for the credit transfer should be submitted to Nina Wennberg, either scanned copies by email or hand in the original documents (office in building 15, room 15:228, Campus Kräftriket).



Grades obtained during the study abroad semester are not translated, as it is not possible to compare grading systems in different countries. The credit transfer will include credits obtained in passed courses. In the study administration system Ladok, transferred courses will appear with the name of the course and the transferred credits, but without the grade.

Should you have any additional specific questions regarding the process, please contact Director of Studies.