Stockholm university logo, link to start page


Take the opportunity for a shorter international mobility through the Civis-courses.

Do you want to study abroad without having to spend a whole semester away? The CIVIS Alliance, in which Stockholm University is a participant, offers several courses for students who want to study a short term course at one or more partner universities in Europe.


The courses

  • are free of charge for Civis-students (with some exceptions for fee-paying students)
  • provide the opportunity to apply for funding for the trip and accommodation (application at the home university)

Find further information and application instructions on the following link:

CIVIS Courses

All students admitted to a Civis-course should submit an online form provided by Student Services. This applies both to courses given physically on location in the host country and where you can apply for a grant and online courses/courses with a blended format. 

In order to participate in a CIVIS course and receive a grant, you must be a registered student at Stockholm University, where you intend to graduate. This applies during the application to the course, the grant application and during the course. 
Students who receive any other grants from the EU or the Swedish Council for Higher Education (Universitets- och högskolerÃ¥det), e.g. Sida or SU Scholarship Scheme during the same time, are not allowed to apply for a CIVIS grant. 

You apply directly to the organizing university. The selection and admission are done by the course coordinators.
Information about the application process can be found on the respective website:

CIVIS Courses

Students who are participating in credit courses are covered by the Student OUT insurance by Kammarkollegiet. Read more about the insurance Student OUT here

Students participating in none credit courses are not registered in Ladok and therefore not covered by the Student-UT insurance. Students in that case need to buy an insurance and have to upload the insurance certificate in the scholarship application form.

All students should bring their European Health Insurance Card.

Once you have been admitted to a CIVIS course, you can apply for a scholarship for travel and accommodation. Please note that you are only entitled to receive a CIVIS scholarships for physical mobility in the host country. Online participation from Sweden or another country does not entitle you for the grant. 

The CIVIS grant consists of two parts:

The size of the grant for hotel and subsistence depends on the country. If necessary travel days can be reported as mobility days if they are directly connected to the mobility period.

Individual support per day (in Euro)

Country Greece Germany Belgium France and Italy Spain Romania
Amount 71 58 65 66 61 54


The travel grant is determined by the travel distance (as the crow flies). Distances are calculated in one direction, but the amounts below apply to round trips: Erasmus+ distance calculator. 

Distance Calculator

Travel distance Amount
Between 10 and 99 km 20 EUR per participant
Between 100 and 499 km 180 EUR per participant
Between 500 and 1999 km 275 EUR per participant
Between 2000 and 2999 km 360 EUR per participant
Between 3000 and 3999 km 530 EUR per participant
Between 4000 and 7999 km 820 EUR per participant


Students who have been admitted to a CIVIS course will be contacted from Student Services with application information.

Your home department or Student Services has to transfer your credits/note your participation in a none credit course in Ladok. When the course has been completed you need to hand in your Certificate of Attendance.

Find more information on credit transfer here

Please contact your home department or Student Services for more information about credit transfer. 

Tuition fee

CIVIS courses (physical and virtual courses) which can be recognized as part of your study program at Stockholm University are free of charge. 

CIVIS courses (physical and virtual courses) which will not count toward your degree have to be payed for. The CIVIS course will be calculated individually.
Please contact well in advance for more information. 

Residence permit

It is a good idea to contact the Migration Agency regarding your specific situation to see how the participation of the CIVIS course could affect your residence permit in Sweden. 
For more information please contact: Swedish Migration Agency.




On this page