Stockholm university logo, link to start page

Practical information about exchange studies

On this page, you will find useful information if you have been offered an exchange placement at one of Stockholm University's central partner universities or through your department.

There are several steps for you to take after you have accepted an offer. The information might be found in different locations depending on whether you have received a nomination through a department's agreement or through a central agreement or network. If the information is not divided, it applies to all exchange students.

The United Kingdom is since the 1 February 2020 no longer a member of the EU, but will participate in Erasmus+ through the current programme period until the call for applications 2020. 

Interested in exchange in United Kingdom?

Regardsless if the United Kingdom participates in the Erasmus+ -programme or not it may still be possible to participate in an exchange in the country. Contact the international coordinator at your department to see what options are open to you. 

Find all international coordinators here


Before you leave

Here, you will find information about what is important to consider before you leave for your exchange.

The international coordinator at your department (through the departmental agreement) or at the Student Services (through the central agreements and networks) ensures that the host university receives your name and address. The university then sends you information on how to apply either directly to you or to your international coordinator.

As soon as you get instructions on how to apply, you should carefully review them. Make sure that the application is complete and that all attachments are included. 

Common attachments to attach or upload are:

  • Transcript of Records
  • Letter of recommendation
  • Course selections
  • Language certificate/grade
  • Copy of your passport
  • Health certificate

The attachments needed may vary depending on the university. The partner universities retain admission rights based on their entry requirements and course availability.

Some exchange students in Erasmus+ must do a language test before and after completing the exchange.

Click here to read more about the language tests

You are still a student at Stockholm University during your exchange studies, field studies. Therefore, you should be registered in Ladok throughout your exchange period.

To make sure it is registered in Ladok before you leave, contact the programme coordinator or international coordinator at your department. Please do this as soon as possible after you have received your Letter of Acceptance from the host university.

Note that CSN has access to Ladok, as they make sure you are registered as a student. The Kammarkollegiet’s insurance is also linked to the Ladok registration.

When making your course selection, you should primarily consider those that are at the appropriate level of education, suit your subject and degree, and all together constitute full-time studies.

Be sure to apply for courses well in advance. It may take time to familiarise yourself with the other university’s education system and how to find courses in their catalogues. Please note that this in your own responsibility.

When you have made your decision, you must fill in a Learning Agreement that contains the courses you plan to take and the person responsible for crediting your courses (either your department or the Student Services).

The Learning Agreements are different depending on whether you go through departmental agreements or central agreements and networks. Receive your Learning Agreement template from your international coordinator.

The core of ​​exchange studies is that you should be able to transfer the credit from your foreign studies as part of your education. Your department has the academic responsibility for the exchange and they primarily transfer the credit.

To ensure that you can take your foreign studies into account in your education, you must write a Learning Agreement well in advance of your departure (see above).

If you are going to swap a specific course at Stockholm University for one at the partner university, the credit is always transferred to your home department. If you want to replace specific courses, you have to establish several Learning Agreements, one per department.

In cases where you do not get credits for the courses, you can usually count them as a course that broadens your degree. In such cases, turn to the Exam Group at the Student Services by writing to:

Before your exchange, it is important you find out which documentation is required for credit transfer. This allows the department or Student Services to decide on credit transfer after your exchange period.

Examples of documents you may need for credit transfer:

  • Transcript of Records
  • Curriculum
  • List of course literature

Students studying abroad through Stockholm University are covered by the insurance Student OUT from Kammarkollegiet.

Read more about the insurance Student OUT here

As an exchange student, you can apply for student finance from CSN. You may also apply to have the loan increased to cover travel expenses.

Click here for more information about the CSN student abroad finance

Additionally, all students on an Erasmus+ exchange are granted a scholarship. Language studies before the semester starts may also be possible. You can apply for the scholarship only when the partner university has accepted your application.

Click here to read more about how and when to apply for the Erasmus+ scholarship

Before the exchange, you need to review your vaccinations. Also note that some countries require you to bring documents proving that you are vaccinated. Contact a vaccination clinic to find out what applies to the country you are going to.

Some universities require you to do a medical examination and in some cases even a chest x-ray. You will receive more information about this when you have received your offer.

If your exchange is outside Europe, you must apply for a visa. In most cases, proof of admission from your host university will enable you to apply for a visa. Contact the embassy of the country you are going to immediately after you have been offered a scholarship to find out more about the application process.

Before your trip, you should seek out the Ministry of Foreign Affairs’ (Utrikesdepartementet) current travel advice for the country you are going to. It is beneficial to know the area of your accommodation and if there are any areas you should avoid.

The Ministry of Foreign Affairs' travel information includes their recommendations for visitors and the location and contact information of Swedish embassies.

In most cases, exchange studies are carried out without any problems, but unexpected events or disasters sometimes affect the safety in the host country.

If a crisis occurs, you should:

  • Contact Falck Global Assistance
  • Contact the Swedish Embassy in the host country
  • Contact your family
  • Contact your international coordinator at Stockholm University

Your coordinator may contact you if they know of any crisis in your host country and it is then vital that you reply.

Among the requirements for a residence permit extension, available on the Migration Agency’s website, there is one that states that students must be admitted to full-time studies in a higher education programme, which requires their presence in Sweden. Exchange studies that are conducted at another university outside Sweden are therefore not acceptable by the Swedish Migration Agency’s for granting a residence permit for studies in Sweden. If you are planning to study abroad and need a residence permit in Sweden, you should only apply for the semester you plan to study in Sweden. During the exchange semester you might need a residence permit in the country where you are going to study. In this case you should contact the authorities in that country to find out what is required.
However, if you are studying a multilateral programme and are alternating between mandatory studies in different countries, you may be able to obtain a residence permit for the entire programme even if it is carried out in different countries. More information can be found on the Migration Agency’s website. 


During the exchange

Here you will find important information to keep in mind during your exchange.

It is possible you need to make changes to your course choice after the exchange has begun. In such an event, you must report any changes through your Learning Agreement (Erasmus+) or through Changes to Learning Agreement (central agreements and networks). Please note that the person who signed your original Learning Agreement must approve the changes. Receive your Changes to Learning Agreement template from your international coordinator.

As an exchange student, you are a representative both for Stockholm University and your department. We encourage you to attend exchange and international fairs and presentations by the host university and hope that you do your best to be a good ambassador for SU. Your ambassadorship is important for future students' opportunity to go on an exchange.

Your internationel coordinator can provide you with brochures to bring, or you can have them sent to your host university if there is a fair or similar. Below, you will also find digital material about Sweden and SU you can use.

Top reasons to choose Stockholm University

Study in Sweden

This is Sweden

Social media

You are encouraged to inspire other students to apply for exchange studies by helping us spread information and opportunities on social media. For example, you can:

  • Use our hashtags on Instagram to share your experience: #suutbyte #stockholmsuniversitet #stockholmuniversity #erasmus #erasmusplus
  • Follow @stockholmsuniversity on Facebook and share relevant posts.
  • Do an Instagram take-over of SU’s account and share your experiences for a week. Contact the Student Serviices via if you are interested in this.

After the exchange

Here, you will find information about things you should consider when returning home after your exchange.

After returning home, you must apply for credit transfer of your exchange studies to have them registered in Ladok.

In your application, you must attach your Transcript of Records from the host university and in some cases your syllabus. It is therefore important that you collect information about the courses during the time of your exchange.

Contact your international coordinator to get information on the application process.

  • If a degree coordinator at the Student Services signed your Learning Agreement, it is at the Exam Group you apply for credit transfer.
  • If your home department signed your Learning Agreement, it is to them you should apply for credit transfer.

Find all international coordinators at the departments listed here

For Erasmus+ exchange students, it is mandatory to fill out the Erasmus+ Participant Report Form online. The link will be sent to you at the end of your exchange via email.

Read more about what applies to Erasmus+ exchange students on Erasmus+ scholarship page

If your exchange was administered through the central agreements and networks, you should complete a student report by logging into the MoveON portal (the same as your application). If you have questions about the student report, contact the responsible international coordinator at Student Services.

Returning exchange students are encouraged to complete the student report according to the instructions by their international coordinator.

Find a language mate

Through the tandem program, two people can help each other learning each other’s languages in an informal, fun and relaxed way. For example by meeting over a ‘fika’.

Click here to read more about the tandem program

Become an exchange ambassador

Inspire others by sharing your experiences as an exchange student. Each year, the Student Services recruits exchange ambassadors who help informing and inspiring Stockholm University students for exchange studies. 

You may for example talk about your exchange at informational meetings at the Student Services, represent exchange studies at fairs or help during Orientation Day for international students.

On this page