Stockholm university logo, link to start page

Residence permit for studies

All non-EU/EEA students who plan on studying for more than three months must have a residence permit for studies in Sweden.

The authority responsible for issuing residence permits is the Swedish Migration Agency, (”Migrationsverket”). Students from outside the EU/EEA can apply for a residence permit for studies online (recommended), or through the Swedish Embassy/Consulate in their country of residence.

Special instructions apply for Swiss citizens, who may move to Sweden to study and apply for a residence permit after entrance in Sweden.

Residence permits for Swiss citizens


Applying for the first time

First time applications for residence permits for studies must generally be submitted before entering Sweden. It is important that you apply for a residence permit well in advance, to make sure that your application is processed in time. Do however not apply more than four months before the start of your residence permit period.

How to apply for a residence permit for studies

How long does it take to get a decision from the Swedish Migration Agency?

International students who are liable to pay the tuition fee, must have paid the first instalment of the tuition fee before handing in the application for a residence permit for studies. 

Payment and repayment of tuition fee

Exchange students are not required to pay fees and can directly apply for the residence permit.

When applying for the residence permit you must submit admission decision that shows that you are finally admitted to full-time studies in a programme or courses.

International students can use the Notification of Selection Results (that can be downloaded from

Exchange students can use the Acceptance letter they receive from their international coordinator.

International students who pay the tuition fee are covered by "FAS - The Swedish State’s Insurance for Fee-Paying Students". Fee-paying students can use the Notification of Selection Results (that can be downloaded from as an insurance certificate.

Insurance for fee-paying students

Exchange students are covered by the Student IN insurance 


The following information may be useful when you fill out the residence permit application:

International students: Address: Stockholm University, Universitetsvägen 10A, SE-106 91 Stockholm, Sweden.
Contact person: Stefan Norrlén, Phone: +468-161770

Exchange students: the contact person is your international coordinator at Stockholm University:  Departmental international coordinators at Stockholm University.


Extending a residence permit for studies

A residence permit is normally granted for one year at a time. Extension of a residence permit must be done before the existing residence permit expires. You are however entitled to stay in Sweden while the permit is being processed.

Extending a resi­dence permit for studies 

Among other requirements, students must be admitted to full-time studies in a higher education programme, which requires their presence in Sweden, in order to be able to obtain a residence permit in Sweden. Exchange studies that are conducted at another university, outside Sweden, do not fulfil the full-time studies requirement for a residence permit. Contact the Migration Agency for more information. During the exchange semester, you might need a residence permit in the country where you are going to study. In this case, you should contact the authorities in that country to find out what is required.


Residence permit to seek employment after studies

If you have a residence permit for studies and have completed a programme that has lasted for at least two semesters, you can get a residence permit for 12 months to seek employment or examine the possibilities of starting your own business here. You must apply for a residence permit while you are still in Sweden and before your current permit for studies expires.

Residence permit to seek employment or start business after studies


FAQ Costs, fees and scholarships

Find the answer to the most frequently asked questions about costs, fees and scholarships, or contact us for more information and guidance.

FAQ and Contact

On this page