Stockholm university logo, link to start page

General information for tenants

Here you will find general rules and regulations for our accommodations, such as information on rent payments and fault reports. For more specific information please read your rental contract and the information sheet for each accommodation area.


Problems with your accommodation

For any maintenance issues during office hours (weekdays 08:00-16:00), please make a maintenance request on your online accommodation account.

For emergency issues (risk for person or property) outside of office hours, please contact your property manager directly by calling the emergency phone number:

  • SSSB (Idun, Kungshamra and Lappis): 08-458 10 11
  • Kräftriket (Hovbeslag): 0101-30 85 02

Please note that if you call the emergency phone number and it is not an emergency or it is during office hours you will have to pay a fine.

As the tenant you are responsible for your accommodation, including damages even if the damage is caused by a guest. As an exchange student you have student insurance via Kammarkollegiet which should cover some or all of these costs. This is something you must check yourself with Kammarkollegiet. Non-European master students (that are not here on an exchange) do not have this student insurance by Kammarkollegiet so you must buy accommodation insurance yourself.

It is not permitted to change housing areas or type of accommodation. Please keep this in mind when accepting your offer.

Tenants are responsible for cleaning their own apartment during the rental period, and to leave it clean for the next tenant when moving out. You are responsible for buying cleaning supplies such as brooms, washing powder, dish washing liquid, mop and also a vacuum cleaner (if needed). Never pour hot oil into the kitchen sink as it may cause the pipes to clog. Instead wipe this away with kitchen paper towels before you clean the pot or pan with dishwashing liquid. Please also remember to regularly dust or vacuum under and behind the refrigerator as the dust may cause a fire.

Each tenant is also responsible for keeping shared facilities clean, such as common kitchens and bathrooms, corridors, laundry rooms and other common spaces. At Lappis, Kungshamra and Hovbeslag every corridor/shared apartment sets up its own cleaning schedule to keep the common areas clean. However, all tenants also have a personal responsibility to clean the kitchen, including oven, stove tops and microwave, and take care of dishes, every time you have used it. If cleaning is not carried out satisfactorily, please talk to your neighbors or contact the Housing Office. At Kurland there is cleaning company that cleans the kitchen area/communal area and bathrooms regularly, however all tenants are also personally responsible for the daily cleaning every time you use the kitchen or the bathrooms.  

When you move out you are required to clean your accommodation and remove any personal belongings. Please see detailed cleaning instructions under Departure information.

An apartment building is a small community and unfortunately it is unreasonable to expect total silence in a building where many people live. You just have to learn to live with certain noises but sometimes there can be too much noise and disturbance. A disturbance is most often due to a lack of consideration by a neighbor and the problem is normally easily solved after a polite conversation. If this does not help or if you for some reason cannot or do not want to speak to your neighbor, you must log into your online accommodation account and fill out a maintenance request. The name of the person making the complaint will not be divulged.

According to local environmental and health protection by-laws, apartment block residents may not perform noisy work or make any other kind of disturbing noise between 22:00 and 07:00 on weekdays or between 22:00 and 10:00 at weekends and public holidays.

If you have a party, keep in mind that you as the host are responsible for any damages or disturbances caused by you or your guests (including cleaning, garbage removal, extra security, graffiti removal etc.).  If you are disturbed by your neighbors, we recommend that you try to solve the problem with a polite conversation. If this does not help please contact the Housing Office via e-mail.

If you live at Fjällis or in an SSSB building and the disturbance occurs after normal office hours please call +4610-788 84 08 for Fjällis, and +468-458 10 11 for SSSB. The name of the person making the complaint will remain anonymous.

Tenants who have caused a disturbance will be forced to pay a fine (set fee) if it is confirmed by the call-out report written by the disturbance officer. Repeated action of this kind will result in us contcting your department at Stockholm University and also your coordinator at your home university. It may also lead to a cancellation of your contract.

Student accommodation is rented per semester only. If your studies continue for one academic year (i.e. Autumn-Spring), your rent contract may be extended for one semester.

Your rent contract will not be extended automatically. You must make an extension request online by logging into your accommodation account. Please note that extension requests can only been done after you have moved in.

All students that are here longer than one academic year may only rent housing during their first academic year of studies.

Accommodation can only be rented for a maximum of 2 semesters.

  1. Save. First of all, you have to think about saving people from the fire. Put yourself and others in a safe place. Get out on the street or the yard, or if you cannot do that, stay in your apartment and close all doors. The rescue services will help you out from the apartment through the window. Remember that smoke always rises. Therefore, you have to get below the smoke and it is easier to see and breathe if you stay close to the floor. Remember to use the staircase and not the elevators. Avoid smoke filled rooms and stairwells. Do not forget to close all doors behind you as you are leaving. A closed door prevents the fire from spreading quickly and it will give the rescue services more time. If you get to a closed door, do not open it to check if there is a fire on the other side because it may cause a backdraft. If you touch the upper part of the door and it is warm, there is probably a fire on the other side.
  2. Alert. After you have put yourself in a secure place, call the rescue services by dialing 112. Tell them what has happened and your location.
  3. Extinguish. You can then try to put out the fire, but you should not run the risk of injuring yourself or other people.

A normal inside temperature during winter in Sweden is generally 20-21 degrees. If you come from a warmer climate this can feel a bit cold at first, so please make sure that you have a warm sweater, slippers and a warm duvet. In our apartments there are sensors that automatically start the heating when the temperature outside is around 10-15 degrees (°C) over a longer period.  “A longer period” means that the temperature is steady for a few days. Since all properties are different, the heat settings adjust according to which property it is.

The buildings are connected to a central heating system which is supposed to heat up the whole property. The bigger the property is, the longer it takes before the whole property is warm. And vice versa when the heating is going out of the property. Because of that, it can take a while before the warm water reaches your radiator. Please note that you should never switch off the radiators in your apartment during the winter.

Accommodation keys are picked up on arrival. You will receive information about where and when to pick up your keys when you receive your accommodation offer. You must show a passport or a valid identification card (with a photo). Information about how many and what type of keys you will receive is listed under each housing-areas.

If you lose your keys you must log into your online accommodation account and fill out a maintenance request, or contact the property owner’s emergency number if it happens outside office hours.

When moving out you must return all keys to the Housing Office Key Desk on Campus Frescati.

Pest infestations are unfortunately not that uncommon. Pests often get into our homes after an overseas trip or other journey. It is therefore important to wash and clean your clothes and bags thoroughly when you come home. Do not store your bags and/or other luggage under your bed as this is the perfect breeding-ground for bedbugs. Cleaning your apartment thoroughly on a regular basis also prevents infestations. Bedbugs can be difficult to see with the naked eye. The first sign can be bites in places that are not covered by clothes at night and/or droppings (small black dots) on the bedspread.

If you discover any infestations in your apartment or elsewhere in the building, you are obliged by law to inform the landlord immediately. You do this by logging into your online accommodation account and fill out a maintenance request. It is important that this is done as soon as you discover it so that the pests do not spread. You do not have to pay anything when the extermination company come and decontaminate your accommodation. Please do not hesitate to report if you suspect an infestation of bedbugs or any other insects in your accommodation or any of the communal areas.

Pets are not permitted in any of our accommodations or common areas.

There are several different delivery companies in Stockholm and if you are missing a letter or a package, please contact the delivery company directly. If a letter or package does not fit in your postbox you must usually go to the nearest supermarket to pick it up. The delivery company should send you a note, letter or text message with information on where to pick up your letter or package. Please contact the delivery company if you have any questions about this. Also note that the Housing Office cannot receive or hold any letters, packages, bags or suitcases for you.

In Sweden we take recycling very seriously, and Stockholm University is no exception. Each tenant is responsible for sorting their waste and disposing it in the right containers.

Please follow the information and signs about the recycling in the building. When using the recycling rooms or the rooms for bulky waste always put everything as far into the room as possible. Cardboard boxes should be folded to minimize the space. Household garbage containing food scraps must be thrown away at the correct place and not in the recycling rooms or the rooms for bulky waste. This is to prevent bad smells and reduce the risk of vermin. Please note that that we charge a fee for everything that we need to clean, pick up or put in the right place. This includes inside the building, the common room, any outdoor area near the building and in the rooms for bulky waste and at the recycling rooms/ stations. Do not throw cigarette butts, paper or any other items on the ground or out through your windows in your apartment.

Heating, cold water, hot water, electricity and internet (not Wi-Fi) are included in the rent. Information about how and when to pay your rent will be given to you when you receive an accommodation offer from the Housing Office. You can also see this information when you log into your online accommodation account.

Rent should be paid online with a credit card or debit card. If you cannot pay with a credit card or debit card, please contact the Housing Office at to receive information about alternative ways to pay your rent.​​​

  • Remember to never let any strangers into the building or into your corridor
  • Never leave any windows open if you are not at home for security reasons
  • Always lock the door to your studio (even if you are home) for security reasons
  • If you need to talk to the police in a non-urgent matter please call 114 14. If you calling from an international phone number, call +4677 114 14 00.
  • If there is an emergency concerning your own or another person’s safety please call 112

Every apartment is a separate fire cell. To prevent spreading smoke/fire all apartment doors and doors to the staircases must be kept closed at all times. It is the responsibility of every tenant to see that the doors are kept closed between the different areas. You are not allowed to keep any items in corridors or stairwells (this includes shoes, doormats, bicycles, garbage bags, packages etc.). If there is a fire all evacuation routes must be free of objects. Please note that if you put things in the corridor or the stairwell they will be removed without any warning and you may also be charged a fine. Please note that smoking is strictly forbidden in the apartment/room and common spaces in all of our accommodations.

While you are living in the accommodation it is your own responsibility to regularly check that the smoke detector in the apartment is working. It is absolutely forbidden to remove or damage the smoke detector.

Ceiling mounted smoke detector

Most of our accommodations are equipped with a ceiling-mounted smoke detector. When moving in, please note that you should test your smoke detector by pressing the push-to-test button until the alarm sounds to see if it is working properly.

If the smoke detector is beeping or blinking non-stop, it is your personal responsibility to change the battery. If you cannot change the battery yourself you must log into your online accommodation account and fill out a maintenance request.

Smoke detector that is connected to the main system

In our accommodation areas Hovbeslag, Grindstugan, Trädgårdsvillan and Konsulentvillan the smoke detectors are connected to the main system, so you are not allowed to switch them off. If you have a problem with the smoke detector in any of these areas, please make a maintenance request on your online accommodation account.

It is only permitted to share your accommodation if you are renting a studio at Idun, however this must be approved by the Housing Office. It is not permitted to sublet your accommodation in any areas.

You are allowed to have temporary guests staying in your room at some areas, please refer to your contract for information on regulations in your accommodation area.


On this page