Material published within Stockholm University

The author with the copyright has the right to make the publication freely available if there is no specific agreement in place prohibiting this.

Back to the top

License your material

Any material you create and share with others can be licensed. The license is a message to the reader or the user of the material how they can reuse the material.

It is possible for you to license all material that you produce as an academic such as articles, book chapters, books, other publications (e.g. blog texts, working papers) and teaching material. The license should be clearly visible on the title page or first page of the material you share. 


Copyright means that the author and/or publisher of material also owns the right to decide how it will be used. The owner of the copyright will always need to be asked before the material is reused. There is often a charge applied for someone who wants to reproduce or share copyrighted material.

Open Access Licensing

If you want to publish Open Access, you will still own the rights to your work, and you control how it can be used by choosing one of the Creative Commons licenses. These open licenses are administered independently from any publisher and are a crowd-funded and international project. 

All the licenses require that others using your work in any way must give you credit in the way you request, but not in a way that suggests that you endorse them in their use. There must always be a reference and a link to the original.

  • BY – or 'Attribrution' means that anyone who would like to use your work would have to give you attribution for it. Others can copy, distribute, display, perform and modify your work with this license.
  • SA – Means ’Share Alike’, and adds a requirement to the above, which is that the work has to be shared with the same terms as the original license.
  • NC – Means ’Non-Commercial’ and means that the work cannot be distributed for commercial purposes.
  • ND – Means ’No Derivatives’ and can be added to the CC-BY license to ensure that the work has to be shared in its original form, without changes.

Using an open license allows for others to continue to build upon your work. And the CC-BY license opens up for text-and-data mining of your work. The licenses are also applicable to the publishing of research data.

Agreement on dissertations with Bonus Copyright Access

Stockholm University have signed an agreement that makes it possible to publish all dissertations issued at the University during the years 1906-2003. The agreement is a solution that protects copyright, but enables the research to be to read on the web. Read more about the disseration agreement.

Back to the top

Articles in international scientific journals

The author may, as part of a standard contract with the publisher, have limited or signed away their rights enitirely. Most major publishers still allow articles to be made ​​freely available provided that certain conditions are met. If you want to know what applies to the journal where you have published your articles, please visit the journal's publisher's policy in SHERPA / RoMEO.

Back to the top

Theses and Dissertations

Monograph theses published by departments

The author owns the copyright. The thesis can be made freely available.

Monograph theses published by publishing houses

Contact the publisher and ask for permission.

Comprehensive theses

The author owns the copyright to the kappa, and it can be made freely available. The agreement made with the respective publisher applies to the other published sections of your thesis. Please contact the publisher with specific enqueries.

Regarding books, anthology contributions, published conference papers, journals and publishers without policies, and reports

Please contact the publisher or the distributor and ask for permission.

Back to the top

Pictures and copyright

Artistic works, photographs, illustrations and diagrams have copyright protection disallowing use by someone other than the author without the author’s permission. This protection is governed by the law of copyright for literary and artistic works (SFS 1960 : 729).

The Visual Arts Copyright Society in Sweden (BUS) represents thousands of Swedish and international artists. If you want to use a picture depitcting such work, please contact BUS. In other cases, you may contact the copyright owner, the publisher, or the distributor. Always specify the context in which you wish to use the work as well as where it will be published .

Scientists sometimes need to use images in their research to illustrate their reasoning. Swedish copyright law provides special permission in these cases, making it possible to publish images without asking the copyright owner 's permission, and without risk for liability.

Should you not get permission to use a picture in its electronic format, you can omit it and replace it with an explanatory text: " Because of copyright protection, this picture is missing in its electronic format."

Back to the top

Links to the copyright organizations in Sweden   


Back to the top