Many departments have bilateral exchange agreements with different Universities. If there isn’t a departmental agreement with the university or the country that you would like to study in, you can apply for one of Stockholm University’s central agreements, or you can decide to study abroad as a “free mover”.

Exchange agreements at the Department of English

The Department of English has exchange agreements with a number of universities.

As a participant in the Erasmus Plus programme, supported by the European Commission, the Department currently has exchange agreements with:

How do I apply?

The deadline for applications for our bilateral agreements is in March, if you wish to go abroad in the autumn term, and in October, for the spring term. Exact dates will be specified ahead of each term. Prerequisites include the completion of one year’s studies (60 credits) at a Swedish university or university college, of which at least 30 credits are in English studies at Stockholm University.

Studies abroad spring 2022

If you are interested in one of our bilateral agreements, an online information meeting will be held on Tuesday 5 October at 13:00 via Zoom. The Zoom invitation will be published on Athena for students taking English 1 and 2 in the autumn term 2021. If you are not a student on those courses currently but want to attend, contact us at

Deadline for application: 10 October 2021

Application form for exchange studies VT22 (pdf) (777 Kb)

The following documents need to be enclosed with the application: 1. A letter presenting yourself and motivating why you would like to study abroad (approximately 500-600 words). The letter should be in English (PDF format); 2. A transcript of records (from Ladok).

If you are interested in participating in one of our exchange programmes, you can contact for further information.

Stockholm University exchange agreement

Stockholm University also has exchange agreements with a number of universities and countries outside of Europe, such as Australia, Canada, New Zeeland and the USA. Information about these programmes and how you apply is available on the Stockholm University central website.

Free mover

You can also decide to study abroad on your own as a ‘free mover’ (that is, not through one of the University’s exchange programmes). As a ‘free mover’ you decide where you want to study and for how long, but you need to arrange it yourself, and you will be liable to potential fees in the country in question.